Um, hopefully the following things won't be to confusing. One of the elements in gxl is characters influnced by the time/day/night system.
RPG Maker by default doesn't have any clock/time system, so it must use scripts to have one.
With a number of custom scripts I've made and a few from the rpg maker community this is possible.
There is more than one way time can be used to affect NPCs in the game, currently there are
3 different types of time events:
1) normal events - the normal type of events that are not affected by time.
2) semi-time limited events - once activated, these are events that can occur only during a certain time of the day. However if you miss the time you can try again any future day at that same time.
An example of this is Lali, after find out her meetup time you can go to try to meet her boyfriend if choose. she will come just before 11:00am and will stay a few hours before she leaves. She will also keep coming each day afterwards if you miss her event time.
3) time limited events - these are special events that you only have one chance to view between a certain time period, if you miss it you'll have lost your chance to go through the event. This is mosly only used for minor events in the game and not anything major, more important ones will usually have a large time period to activate the event. Finding these events may give you things such as valuable items, sex scenes, or other forms of rewards.
For example, if you talk to Pilica you are given the option to let her gamble with the money you have, however if Sophia is in your party you'll also have the option to tell Pilica to sell her as Sophia will convince her to sell her body to pay off her debt. However these options are time-limited as Pilica only has 2 days to pay off her debt. If you never choose any option after she talks with the debt collector, she will become homeless 2 days later because of her debt.
Another thing that can be somewhat complex with time control in rpg maker is smooth character arrival. By this I mean making a character come on a map at a certain time.
This happens in 3 stages:
1) arrival of character - the character appears on the map and walks to the certain point
2) stay - the character stays at a certain point until time to leave
3) leaving of character - the character walks off the map or enters a door until character is gone.
It may sound simple at first but you must manage the times and conditions for each of these to occur, however I've made scripts to greatly simply this process.
If you choose to take a homeless chick home with you can feed her once a day until she's a full grown hen and then she will lay eggs for you(not yet implemented).
There is more things I would like to talk about dealing with the time system but i'll leave it that for now. I should also have a new version of gxl out sometime later this month.
Um, that's all for now,
see you all later.